Saturday, August 31, 2024

How to Respond to Gaslighting: 24 Clever Phrases to Disarm a Manipulator

How to Respond to Gaslighting:

24 Clever Phrases to Disarm a Manipulator

By Janey Davies, B.A. (Hons)

Posted on August 31, 2024
 




Have you ever been told you’re too sensitive, you’re crazy, or you’re imagining things? Does it make you doubt yourself? We all experience misunderstandings from time to time, but if this becomes a pattern of behavior it’s likely someone is gaslighting you.

Gaslighters want you to respond in one of two ways; back down or lose your cool. Either way, they’re in control, but the key to regaining that control is knowing exactly how to respond to gaslighting. Here are my tips.

How to Respond to Gaslighting

Remember, gaslighting is someone’s denial of reality that you yourself have observed. Reality is not subjective. It is the facts of what happened and not subject to interpretation. We may react and have opinions, but facts remain unchanged. Therefore, you do yourself no favors by saying things like:

“That’s not my experience.” or “I don’t remember it that way.”

You’re playing into their narrative. It helps to think of the gaslighter as a child. It makes them much easier to deal with. You wouldn’t indulge a child that was lying or manipulating you. The facts are your weapons. The truth is there. If they want to BS you, call them out directly.

When I deal with gaslighters, I imagine I am a wall. Walls don’t give way and they don’t react. I stick to the facts and don’t get emotional. Gaslighters want to frustrate you. Their plan is to wrong-foot you, because keeping you off-balance causes you to second-guess yourself, which ultimately gives them more control over you.

Here’s how to respond to gaslighting when they use the following manipulating gaslighting phrases.

1. “No one else would put up with you.”

Aren’t you fortunate that this person tolerates you? I used to get this crap all the time from my ex-partner. It’s designed to erode your self-esteem until you believe you’re worthless. Once you hit this rock bottom, they can treat you any way they like.

Your response:
“If I’m that bad, why do you stay?”
“Yeah well, it works both ways, love.”
“There’s the door.”

2. “You’re imagining things.”

Twisting reality helps gaslighters avoid responsibility for their actions. It’s also a way of making you question events.

Your response:
“I have a wonderful imagination, but I don’t imagine facts.”
“Let’s ask someone who was there.”
“OK. Whatever.”
“I won’t waste time debating reality with you. This is your action and here’s the impact.

3. “You’re too sensitive.”

Gaslighters commonly employ this tactic to say something awful and evade consequences. Call them out. If this is an intimate partner, remember, they’re supposed to love you and support you, not ridicule or say nasty things to you. What’s their problem?

Your response:
“What you’ve said (or done) is mean. I’m right to be upset. Don’t do it again.”
“What you think of me is not my problem.”
“You are too insensitive!”
“Whatever you think, this is how I feel.”

4. “I was only joking. God, can’t you take a joke?”

Gaslighters hide thinly veiled criticisms or disparaging remarks under the guise of ‘jokes’, then accuse you of having no sense of humor.

Your response:
“I’ve got a great sense of humor, thanks. I’m dating you, aren’t I?”
“I can take a joke, but that wasn’t funny. Do you want to try again?”
“If it’s so funny, let’s ask my friends what they think.”

5. “You’re just crazy.”

This tactic is used to make you question your sanity. Are you remembering things the way they happened or are you forgetting important details? Of course you’re not.

Your response:
“Crazy like a fox!”
“I’d like to focus on the facts, not your imagination.”
“I’m confident about my sanity, thank you.”
“That’s BS. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it. Stop trying to manipulate me.”

6. “I’m telling you this to help you.”

As with mean jokes, gaslighters will use harsh criticism to chip away at your confidence, then justify it saying it’s for your own good.

Your response:
“I didn’t ask for your advice. Please keep your opinions to yourself in the future.”
“I don’t need your approval.”
“Maybe look at your own life before criticizing mine?”

7. “This is all your fault.”

Shifting blame and avoiding responsibility is common among gaslighters. For example, they’ll blame you for their infidelity, claiming if you were more attentive, they wouldn’t have cheated.

Your response:
“Actually, I can’t make you do anything.”
“I won’t accept the blame when you won’t accept responsibility.”
“If I have such control over you, why is the house such a mess?”

How to Respond to Gaslighting When Nothing Works

Manipulators will try any trick in the book to undermine you, and getting under your skin will only encourage them. Whilst the above things will shut down or at least deescalate a gaslighter, they’re not infallible.

If none of the above suggestions work my only advice is to use the Gray Rock method. This is the most effective way if you want to know how to respond to gaslighting. Don’t respond to their mind games, don’t react, don’t engage, just ignore or block them.

Final Thoughts

The problem with manipulators is once you’re aware of being manipulated, the damage to your confidence and self-esteem is already done, potentially leaving you unable to retaliate. Hopefully, the above things to say can help you stand up for yourself against the tirade of lies and putdowns.

References:

Janey Davies
 

 
Sub-editor & staff writer at Learning Mind
Janey Davies has been published online for over 10 years. She has suffered from a panic disorder for over 30 years, which prompted her to study and receive an Honours degree in Psychology with the Open University. Janey uses the experiences of her own anxiety to offer help and advice to others dealing with mental health issues.
 
Copyright © 2012-2024 Learning Mind. All rights reserved. For permission to reprint, contact us.
 

 

Compiled by http://violetflame.biz.ly from: 

My notes: 
God the Source is unconditional love, not a zealous god of [some] dogmatic religions.

Reminder discernment is recommended.
 
The Truth Within Us, Will Set Us Free. We Are ONE.
No Need of Dogmatic Religions, Political Parties, and Dogmatic Science, linked to a Dark Cabal that Divides to Reign.
Any investigation of a Genuine TRUTH will confirm IT. 
TRUTH need no protection.
 
Question: Why the (fanatics) Zionists are so afraid of any Holocaust investigations?
 

  
 
Visitor MapesoterismoFree counters!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Importance of Remaining Self-Possessed, Grounded, and Restrained at This Time

The Importance of Remaining Self-Possessed, Grounded, and Restrained at This Time Posted by Steve Beckow Posted on September 18, 2024 T...